The 15 Best Electric Skateboard Reviews 2017: Buyers Guide
We have done many electric skateboard reviews to find out which boards are the absolute best electric skateboards. While it was an insane experience, we have narrowed it down to the 15 best electric skateboards of this year!
Compare: The 15 Best Electric Skateboards of 2017
What is an electric skateboard?
An electric skateboard is a modified skateboard that is propelled using electric motor, that is usually mounted on the underside of the board. Power of which is usually controlled with an RF remote which allows the rider to go forward or backward. Much like a regular skateboard, the actually steering is controlled by the rider shifting their weight
Electric Skateboards were originally designed for local transport and short commutes. However, newer electric skateboards offer more of an “Off-Road” models and are used as a new thrill sport. The “Off-Road” style boards are more durable and are capable of traversing grass, dirt, hard sand and gravel with ease.
Electric skateboard vs Electric Longboard
Electric skateboards are what most street, vert, pool skaters ride because of it’s concave (curved structure and with the nose and tail pointing upward), this allows skaters to pull off tricks like kickflips by kicking a certain part of the board making it flip.
Electric Longboards are not meant to be used for extreme tricks. Longboards are typically preferred, for those using their boards as a way to commute. They are more practical for commuting because of how much control you get out of it due to the extra space on the board.
Electric skateboards are good if you plan on doing tricks, but if you plan to use your electric board just to get around town an electric longboard would be best
Best Electric Skateboard For 2017
Yuneec E-Go 2
The Yuneec E-Go 2 electric skateboard (Click here to check price on Amazon price on Amazon) is the best electric skateboard for 2017. We love this board because of how fast and high-quality it is. It’s also priced cheap enough for anyone to afford. Another reason why the Yuneec is the top electric skateboard this year is because of how many color options are available. A lot of times manufacturers make one standard color or type of board. With the E-GO 2 this is simply not the case. This board comes in green, purple, and blue. This board can get up to 12 miles per hour and last for approximately 18 miles on a single charge. If you want a good quality but cheap electric skateboard, the Yuneec is definitely the best electric skateboard. You can read the full Yuneec E-GO 2 review here.
Fastest Electric Skateboard
The Boosted Dual+ electric skateboard is our number one choice for an overall board. Boosted manufactures their E-boards in the US and pride themselves on using high-quality parts. The Boosted Dual+ uses advanced technology consisting of 3 onboard microprocessors, a multitude of sensors, automotive-grade lithium batteries, and mobile connectivity. It’s revolutionary 2,000 watts of power means a completely new riding experience.
The Dual+ has the world’s only dual-drive system lets you accelerate up any hill and brake to a complete stop when you are on the way back down. The Boosted Dual + has a max speed of 22mph making it the fastest electric skateboard. You can read the full review here.
- Uses dual motors
- Uses very high-quality parts
- Can climb hills
- 2,000 watts of power
- Can get up to 22 mph
- Not meant for off-road
Best Electric skateboard for Off-Road 2017
The MotoTec Dirt Electric is our favorite off-road electric skateboard because it’s 2 motors help you shred through the dirt with no problem. You can take this board through the grass and along trails and it will ride fine. The MotoTec utilizes dual motor technology, with one motor in each of the rear tires. This electronic skateboard has a max speed of 18-22 mph, depending on weight. The max weight allowance is 260 pounds. You can read the full MotoTec Dirt Electric review here Full MotoTec Dirt Electric review here.
- Uses dual motors
- Made from high-quality parts
- Can get up to 18-22 mph depending on your weight
- Can go off-road
- Can hold up to 260 pounds
- Speed fluctuates based on riders weight
Best Cheap Electric Skateboard under $200 For 2017
The Dynacraft Surge Electric Skateboard is the best cheap electric skateboard on the market. It is hard to find another eboard in this price range. Dynacraft has been in the cycle industry for years and has excellent customer service. While this electronic skateboard may not have the bells and whistles of the higher-quality models, if you are on a budget this is the model for you. It features a 22V Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery pack and includes a wireless digital hand controller and battery charger. This balance board has a max speed of 6 mph and supports up to 150 pounds. You can read the full Dynacraft electric skateboard review here.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Sleek innovative design
- VERY affordable
- Made from lower quality materials
- Only goes 10 mph
- Has a low max weight of 150 pounds
8 Things to consider before purchasing an electric skateboard
- RANGE – Consider what your primary reason for purchase is. If you are just riding around the neighborhood or around campus a regular electric skateboard may work for you. If you plan to travel long distances or make use of your board all day you will want to get a skateboard that holds a longer charge.
- Max Weight – Electric skateboards and longboards all have weight limits. Some of the boards are specifically aimed at children so you want to make sure that if adults will be riding, that you choose a board that can support the heaviest adult rider. Usually the boards with the higher weight limits.
- WEIGHT – How much does the board weigh? If you run out of juice can you carry it all the way home? This is something to consider if children will be riding. If you are purchasing an electric skateboard for a child you will want to make sure that it will be light enough for them to carry.
- PERFORMANCE – Electric skateboards are not created the same. Higher quality models generally have higher performance standards. Will you be boarding around the city streets, or are you planning to go “off-road” with your buddies.
- SUPPORT – Does the board come with a warranty? In the event of broken parts will you be able to replace the belt and wheels or other parts and are they easily interchangeable? Some companies have better customer service than others.
- PRICE – E-Board pprices have a wide range. Cheaper boards, like with most things tend to be manufactured with lesser quality. Major brand boards tend to cost a little more but are usually made with higher quality parts then the boards from China. It’s a good idea to read reviews and research how customer service of these brands treats their customers.
- THUMB OR TRIGGER REMOTE CONTROL – Using your index finger is the most intuitive to control your electric skateboard. Using your thumb works as well but depending on your preference it can sometimes feel akward, and not as comfortable as using your index finger.
- DIY OR MAKING YOUR OWN BOARD – If you’re handy, making your own electric skateboard might be an option. Be warned making your own board is possible by purchasing a DIY electric skateboard kit, but it will require a lot of time, patience, a little more time and money! If you are not handy, and the idea of waiting for parts to experiment doesn’t appeal to you, then purchasing an electric skateboard might be the best option for you. But if you are handy you can learn how to make an electric skateboard here. You can find the best electric skateboard kits here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Electric Skateboards
Q: How old do you need to be to ride an electric skateboard?
A: It depends on the model, they make electric skateboards for children and adults?
Q: Whats the difference between a kids electric skateboard and an adult electric skateboard?
A: Electric skateboards for kids have slower max speeds, as well as lower maximum weights. You can find about adult electric skateboards here.
Q: Where can you get an electric skateboard cheap?
A: Check our reviews we have links to where you can find them for a good price.
Q: What is the best off-road electric skateboard
A: We recommend one of the electric skateboards with pneumatic tread tires.
Q: How fast do electric skateboards go?
A: Electric Skateboards range in max speed from 10 to 30 miles per hours.
Q: Do I need to wear a helmet on an electric skateboard?
A: Yes! Electric skateboards can get near 30 miles per hour. You can find our list of the 12 best skateboard helmets here.
Q: Can I build my own electric skateboard?
Q: How long do electric skateboards take to charge?
A: It depends on the quality of the battery. Electric skateboards with higher-quality batteries have shorter charge time.
Q: How much do electric skateboards cost?
A: Electric skateboards have a large range based on quality, most of the skateboards range from $200 – $2500
Q: How do electric skateboards work?
Other Cool Modes of Transportation
Purchasing the best electric skateboard is easy to do as long as you know what you are looking for. Consider the main usage of your board and make your decision accordingly. Make sure to pick a board that is made from high-quality parts and built to last. You can find our full individual electric skateboard reviews here. If you have found these electric skateboard reviews helpful please share this page on facebook.